Sunday, February 13, 2011

The right shoes can make a huge difference!

Yesterday my super star trainer told me about how he took his wife to Running Revolution in Campbell, CA to get fitted for new running shoes. After having the dreaded bluish toenails from my last half marathon, I decided it might be a good idea to check it out. The shoes I've been running in aren't all that comfortable. I thought that running shoes were supposed to be snug so that they kept feet stable. Apparently, that's exactly what they're NOT supposed to be.

I went and got fitted yesterday, and the salesman actually put me in a pair of shoes that are a size and a half larger than my normal shoe size! He had me stand on this sensor that showed where I distribute my weight when standing. I then had to walk up and down the store so that he could see how my feet move when I walk. It was a very thorough process! I tried on 4 different pairs of shoes, and had to run with them on outside the store to see how they felt.

The salesman told me that the right shoe feels like you don't even have it on. He also encouraged me to buy a pair of shoes that was LESS expensive than the other pairs. From www.goodrunningshoes.net: "Price is definitely a factor here. That old saying "you get what you pay for" holds true for running shoes as well, and you should steer clear of absurdly cheap brands. However, you don’t need to spend an absolute fortune either to get good running shoes that are right for your body. A realistic figure could be anywhere between $50 and $200."

Let me tell you...these new shoes are like a new world. I ran two miles on a track in them this morning, and I could have told you I was wearing only socks. I have NO pain in my shins, and my toes don't hurt at all! Goodbye, blue toenails!


No comments:

Post a Comment