Sunday, February 20, 2011

Challenges

I really enjoy giving myself challenges, especially giving up something I really enjoy. Usually these challenges are related to foods I eat that I shouldn't be eating. In August of 2010 I gave up caffeine and soda. I was very successful at doing this; after going to Starbucks every day and getting a grade soy chai, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. I realized I had been spending $3.90 per day (5 days)...equalling $19.50 a week. That was way too much! Also, a grande soy chai from Starbucks has approximately 230 calories...the amount I'm now eating for my WHOLE breakfast. At the time, this was on top of what I was eating in the morning.

I still don't drink coffee or soda regularly. Occasionally I indulge in a Sprite, but not more than once a month or so. I've decided on my newest challenge: french fries. I am a french fry addict. If they're there, I eat them. And I eat LOTS of them. They're my kryptonite. I realized today that eating french fries isn't going to give my body the fuel it needs in order to have a successful run. Every single time I eat french fries I get disappointed in myself; I feel like I've failed my body. I don't want this feeling anymore. So, starting tomorrow, I will no longer be eating french fries. For anyone that knows me well, you know this is a big deal for me. I've debated giving up french fries since I started dieting in August of 2009...I'd say a year and a half later, it's time.


I need to keep in mind that if I want to be a good runner, I need to be sure I'm giving my body the fuel it needs to keep going. French fries are NOT one of those foods. I have a list of things I want to eliminate from my diet, but we're starting with one thing at a time. Here goes nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment